A TROPICAL REMEDY AND SKIN TREATMENT
While the body’s skin can be dry massaged, the absence of oil makes the whole massage for both the therapist and customer less comfortable. Therefore, the spa world incorporates oils which are compatible for massage. This ensures smooth movement of technique and avoids unpleasant friction between a therapist’s hands and the skin.
The many types of massage are chosen for a variety of reasons and conditions. In parallel, the oils applied depend on the treatment. Each oil should have certain properties suitable for that particular massage which in turn enhances the overall benefits and effect.
The two categories of oil used are essential oils, i.e. the ‘essence’ of a plant’s fragrance, and base (or carrier) oils which dilute essential oils and ‘carry’ them onto the skin.
La Spa uses two base oils: Olive Oil and Tamanu Oil. For hundreds of years, the latter has provided holistic and medicinal benefits in Asian cultures. Tamanu is a natural nut oil with healing and anti-inflammatory qualities. This richly scented oil is extracted from the nut kernels of the tropical evergreen Tamanu nut tree. It is indigenous to South East Asia, Polynesia, East Africa and south Indian coastal regions; in Vietnam it grows wild in central, south east and south west mountainous regions. Here are a few reasons why people love Tamanu Oil. It:
1. Contains antiseptic, antibiotic, antibacterial, antifungal properties
2. Relieves and protects the skin against inflammation, redness, sunburn and insect bites
3. Regenerates the skin by promoting the formation of new tissue and healthy cell growth and studies show the oil has properties which aid the skin to heal faster and reduce the effects of scaring
4. It’s high antibacterial and wound-healing properties help relieve acne scars
5. Possesses antioxidant, anti-aging and anti-wrinkle properties
6. Nourishes and repairs epidermal cells of dry and damaged skin
7. The oil has a rich fatty acid content making it a great skin moisturizer
8. Hypoallergenic (non-irritant, non-sensitizing) qualities
9. For some people its antifungal properties make it an effective remedy for athlete’s foot
10. The oil can be used cosmetically, combined with creams, shampoos and conditioners
Leave a Reply