The UNESCO World Heritage site of Hoi An is the ultimate destination for perfectly tailored clothes. In fact, it is one of the top destinations in the world and the tailoring capital of Vietnam. The tradition dates back to the town’s past as a trading port on the silk route.
Bespoke suits and copies of designer dresses are produced at a fraction of the cost in the West. The artisans are highly skilled and produce garments with every intricate detail included. The customer can either show the tailor a picture of the desired outfit or the tailor will make suggestions as to the style they feel will best suit that customer. Careful measurements and details are then taken and the material chosen from the huge range available, after which the garment is usually ready for collection in a day or two.
There are literally hundreds of tailoring shops in Hoi An, far outnumbering any other line of business, therefore the task of finding one tailor among so many can be bewildering. Here we list some of the best known names in the town:
- Thu Thuy at 60 Le Loi Street is the oldest and largest tailors; Bao Khanh Silk at 101 Tran Hung Dao Street which has been featured in the UK’s Sunday Times newspaper;
- Tony the Tailor at 294 Nguyen Duy Hieu which is a little outside the main area
- Lana Tailor at 130 Tran Phu Street and 94 Le Loi Street which tends to specialize in women’s garments
- Yaly Couture at 358 Nguyen Duy Hieu Street which specializes in adornments
- A Dong Silk at 40 Le Loi which specializes in high end tailoring
- B’lan Silk at 3 Tran Phu street which is situated in a 200-year-old house that one can take a tour of.
Please contact the front desk for further information.